Welcome to 8th Grade ELA!
My name is Mrs. Comfort and I'm excited to have your student in my class. My goals this year are to promote an inclusive, respectful and creative classroom where your student has the best opportunities to improve their reading and writing skills. If you have any questions, you can reach me by email or phone, and I'll be happy to hear from you.
This year, we will be exploring a variety of texts, including:
- Non-fiction articles
- Short stories (e.g. 'Charles' by Shirley Jackson and 'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes)
- Novels (e.g. 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton)
- Poetry (e.g. Robert Frost, Maya Angelou)
Your student will have the opportunity to do a variety of writing activities, including:
- Informative writing
- Narrative writing
- Argumentative writing
By the end of the year, students will be able to comprehend and analyze multiple text types, and write clearly and with purpose.
Zoom Rules and Etiquette:
- Be respectful, be responsible, and safe.
- Have your microphone on MUTE.
- Use your real full name.
- Be on time and prepared.
- Use headphones.
- Follow our school dress code
All work not completed in class should be turned in by FRIDAY of the same week.
Assignments / Classwork - 40%
Tests / Quizzes - 60%