Welcome to 8th Grade ELA!
My name is Mrs. Comfort and I'm excited to have your student in my class. My goals this year are to promote an inclusive, respectful and creative classroom where your student has the best opportunities to improve their reading and writing skills. If you have any questions, you can reach me by email or phone, and I'll be happy to hear from you.
This year, we will be exploring a variety of texts, including:
- Non-fiction articles
- Short stories (e.g. 'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes)
- Novels (e.g. 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton)
- Poetry (e.g. Robert Frost, Maya Angelou)
Your student will have the opportunity to do a variety of writing activities, including:
- Informative writing
- Narrative writing
- Argumentative writing
By the end of the year, students will be able to comprehend and analyze multiple text types, and write clearly and with purpose.
Rules and Etiquette:
- Be respectful, be responsible, and safe.
- Be on time and prepared.
- Follow our school dress code.
- Cell phones off and in bag
- Bag at the back of the room
All work not completed in class should be turned in by FRIDAY of the same week.
Notebook - 45%
Tests / Quizzes - 50%
AR - 5%